Monday, September 9, 2013

We are discovering that two different texts written about the same topic, can present different information. After a whole group reading of "Frogs" by Gail Gibbons, students worked in groups of four reading the book "Frog and Toad".
 
As one person read the story, the others listened for new facts about frogs and toads. Students worked together to create a chart showing their new understandings. Each group will present their information to our class.






I heard some fantastic conversations as I visited with each group. They did a fantastic job working together and discovering new information.
 

3 comments:

  1. Dear Ranchers,

    I am amazed at the wonderful things you all are learning! I love the excitement that you have for reading. Being able to read well is so important. It's important now for school and it's important for your future! I also like that you can identify facts and information from the text you read. So, what is the difference between a frog and a toad? I'm sure someone from Holden's Ranch knows the difference. I'll be asking someone this question soon!
    Dr. P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today several students walked in the door so excited! Dr. Patterson asked one of our students how a frog was different than a toad. I asked Jake what he told Dr. Patterson, and was pleased to hear his information. I asked Jake to type it so he could share the information with others. From Jake:


      My name is jake. A frog has smoth skin and a
      Tode has bopy skin. A frog can jump fast !!! but a
      Tode jumps Slow.

      Delete
  2. Jake - I was quite impressed with your response! You and the other Ranchers in your class are very smart! I look forward to learning more from you all this year. So, if frog and toad were to race, frog would win? Keep up the great work.

    "Make Success Happen!"

    Dr. P

    ReplyDelete