Monday, September 30, 2013

Payday

Here is Ally's post from Friday:

Today is pay day we get to shop so I hope you pick nice things. Have fun on the weekend../’;



I thought I would elaborate: Due to MAP testing and Bruster's, we didn't go shopping until today. I wanted every student to have time.  Shopping in school? What are you talking about?

Each student has a job they have chosen and receive payment for. Over the course of a month they receive additional payment for homework, being on target for 100 BC, doing their job, and making great choices. They face deductions for not fulfilling their job responsibilities, not completing homework, and making choices that prevent them from listening and learning. They are also charged monthly rent for their place in Room 102. At the end of the month, they get to shop. 

The most coveted items are coupons: trade seats with a classmate for the day, invite a friend to lunch, bring a stuffed animal to school, sit in the teacher's chair, bring in items for show and tell, and extra computer time. 

This helps students understand choices, consequences for one's actions, wants and needs, and basic addition and subtraction. 

My favorite comment came from Kole: I never thought at seven years old I would have a job here at school. (Let me add that he has done a FINE job at being responsible for sharpening pencils for our entire class!)

Students choose their job and the class determined the salaries for each position. We also discuss whether a specific student should receive a bonus for their performance. This is wonderful to see students share positive comments with each other. This has made a huge difference in the self esteem of several students. 

They have also discovered what an inconvenience it can be when someone does not do their job. What a valuable life skill they are learning! I am thrilled to stand beside them and watch them grow. 

Tomorrow we choose new jobs for the month of October and I can't wait to see what happens.  

1 comment:

  1. How much money do they get ? Do you make it fun for the kids? I like your blog. I hope I get to see more Emmakate A






    ReplyDelete