Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Kid President!

Instead of the traditional: What do you want to learn in 2014? or.....This year I will....... I came across a great idea on "An Apple For The Teacher" blog. She shared a lesson she did back in April asking students to respond after watching a video from Kid President.

I loved it and wanted to begin our new year asking students to think about the things that would make our world better. I heard: no bullying, being nice to others, if Dads didn't have to go to war, and if they had a cure for Cancer, imagine how many more birthdays people would have. (Pass the Kleenex!)
*I will get those pictures up soon-

So, after that lesson we discussed that if we wanted the word to really be "AWESOME" we would have to make a difference. So back to Kid President we went and we watched "Kid President, 20 Things we should say" . My students then created their own top ten lists.

I made a video of their work with Animoto and it is posted above this post. You have to watch the videos linked above first to understand why two students wrote, "I kissed Beyonce". They have really enjoyed watching Kid President, but it has opened the doors for some very serious discussions.

1. What kind of world do we want to live in?
2. Can one person really make a difference?
3. What can we do?
4. How do we want to be treated?
5. What do we want others to say to us?
6. What are the things we want to remember to say to others?


I have really enjoyed the discussions we have had so far this week. We have discussed so much more than we would have if we had stuck to the same ole' traditions. Guess it really is good to throw out the old ways and embrace the new!

Thank you Kid President, You are AWESOME!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment