Sunday, January 12, 2014

Get Lost in a Book

Since Christmas several students have told me they went to see the movie "Frozen" and have talked about how much they loved it. I came across a suggested list of books to read from HarperCollins Children's Books for students who loved the movie Frozen. I wanted to share this with you because if my own love of reading and getting lost in a great book!

Book recommendations for kids who loved Frozen


I also wanted you to see this list of Top 10: Best Beginning Chapter Books Series for ages 6-9

Top-10-best-beginning-chapter-book-series-ages-6-9/



In our class each student has their own book bucket and they "shop" for 5 books each week to keep in their buckets. Whenever they finish a project/assignment they know they can always get their bucket and read. Jacob came to me our first day back and asked me if I had a certain book. My students have learned so far that I have had every book they have asked to read. (Yep-I have over 800 books)
What can I say? I love books!

So back to Jacob, he stumped me at first. I didn't recognize the title he mentioned. He told me it was really funny so I asked him to tell me more about it. When he explained it, I got a huge grin on my face and told him what the cover looked like and where he could find it in our room. He had a couple of the words out of order, so I didn't recognize the title. What a great moment! His whole face lit up and mine did too!  I love being able to put books in the hands of my students. If they are interested in the book, they will jump right in and read it.

On Friday Ally came to me and asked if I had a certain Junie B. book. I asked if she had looked in  the Junie B. basket and off she went. She came back to me and said "No, it wasn't there." Since I had been successful earlier with Jacob, I said tell me about it. I loved what she did! She brought me the Junie B. book she was currently reading, opened the front cover, and pointed to the small pictures of different covers of other Junie B. books. For the first time, I was stumped.
I didn't have the book she wanted to read. I guess there is a first time for everything!

I am just like Ally. I know what I like to read and I already have the next book picked out before I even finish my current read. I always have one in waiting.  I hope I can instill this love of reading in every student. Reading is my passion and I love seeing my students talking about the great books they have read. If I don't have the book, I want to find it for them.

By the way-the title Ally asked about has been ordered!

I think Ernest Hemingway said it best, "There is no friend as loyal as a book."

No comments:

Post a Comment